If you are trying to gain a more attractive smile in the least invasive way possible, dental bonding or veneers are excellent options to choose between. Giving yourself a more uniform and whiter smile can improve the attractiveness of not only your teeth, but also your entire face. Since your teeth are the main focal…
How Is Dental Bonding Used in Cosmetic Dentistry?
Dental bonding has a variety of uses in cosmetic dentistry, and it is one of the more affordable ways to improve the appearance of a person's teeth. These treatments involve applying a putty-like composite directly to teeth being restored. These composites are color-matched with the person's real teeth so repairs made blend in.
How dental bonding works
Also known as composite bonding, the composites used for the treatment are mixtures of glass and composite. Below are some issues that dental bonding is often used to fix:
- Gaps between teeth: a composite resin can be used to close up small gaps between teeth. The composite is inserted into the hole and shaped so it looks like the two teeth next to the gap are right next to each other.
- Deformed teeth: composites can be used to fix various deformities of teeth. The composite can be shaped as desired after being applied to create the appearance the patient wants.
- Chipped or broken teeth: composites can be used to fix minor chips and breaks. More severe damage to a tooth might require a dental crown.
- Stained or discolored teeth: teeth whitening treatments are the standard way to improve the color of teeth, but some stains–like those caused by fluorosis–do not respond to the bleaching agents used. Such stains can be covered up with a composite to create the appearance of whiter teeth.
- Tooth decay: silver amalgam fillings were once the go-to solution for cavities, but studies that reveal mercury as toxic has changed this. Composite fillings are a more popular option nowadays. They are safe for patients, and the color of the filling blends in with the color of teeth repaired.
Composite bonding is one of the least invasive treatments used in cosmetic dentistry and it does not require the removal of enamel. The dentist simply uses an etching solution to roughen up the tooth so the composite adheres to it better. It is a reversible treatment, so the patient can still explore other treatment options like crowns and veneers in the future. Local anesthetics are usually not used during the application of composites unless the treatment is being used to fill cavities.
Once the etching solution has dried up, the dentist will start applying composites to the tooth layer by layer. Each layer is shaped as desired before being hardened with a curing light. The process is repeated over and over until the desired look is achieved.
There is no recovery period after getting a tooth restored with dental bonding. Patients are advised to avoid eating or drinking things that stain teeth, like coffee, for the first few days after treatment. Composites are more susceptible to staining than real teeth.
Restore your teeth with dental bonding
Composite bonding gives you a non-invasive way to improve the aesthetics of your teeth. It gives you instant results, so you walk out of the clinic with your smile restored. Call or visit our Pleasanton clinic to set up an appointment.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Dental Bonding in Pleasanton, CA.
A common problem many people face is having spaces between their teeth that a cosmetic dentist would notice. It looks unsightly and can be embarrassing. A cosmetic or aesthetic dentist can help with this issue with various techniques to help fill, hide, or eliminate gaps.Cosmetic dentists use different techniques to cover up spaces in between…
Have you ever looked in the mirror and wished your teeth were a little whiter? Maybe you have always had a gap in your teeth or something just was not right that you wanted to fix.Cosmetic dentistry offers a number of oral care procedures to improve the position, shape, size and color of your teeth. These procedures…
Do not leave town without a dental restoration from your local cosmetic dentist. Having a weak or damaged tooth can be an extremely painful experience. If you have a damaged tooth, it is important to visit our dentist office right away and plan for how to restore it before you leave town. Since the regular…